As our time in Lafayette is winding down, I’ve been doing a great deal of reflecting! There are so many things I will miss about the greater Lafayette area. Of course, we are totally thrilled to begin a new chapter in Centerville. But, I’ll be the first to admit, Boyz II Men were right, “It’s so hard to say goodbye to yesterday!”
It should go without saying that we will miss Christ United Methodist Church and all the people we have come to know and love in Lafayette! So, church and people aside, here are some things I’m really going to miss about greater Lafayette:
10. Purdue University- I’ll miss campus, the village, the people, the great restaurants, and the diversity!
9. Happy Hollow Park- We love taking our family to play and hike around this beautiful park on the westside.
8. Downtown Lafayette- It’s a happening place. Coffee shops, restaurants, art galleries, bars…oh my!
7. Star City Coffee & Ale House- This has been a great place to read, write, and gather with friends. And, they take coffee seriously!
6. Happy China- Our family loves this place! It is our go-to when we just don’t feel like cooking.
5. South Street Smokehouse- When I first arrived, I wanted to get to know Rodney Cowden. As we were arranging to get together, he asked me, “Do you like to eat meat?” We settled on the smokehouse and I’ve never been the same!
4. Lafayette Brewing Company- Great food, incredible beverages, live music…it’s a great spot!
3. Mosey Down Main Street- Music, food, beverages, and tons of people!
2. People’s Brewing Company- This has been my favorite spot to write sermons. I like to bounce ideas off people who will be honest (instead of telling me what I want to hear). The staff is awesome! The beverages are incredible.
1. DT Kirby’s- It’s hard to put into words my feelings about this place without “welling up with emotion.” Great people! Insane food! And, just about the friendliest owner you’ll ever meet! Don makes everyone feel like the most important person in the room. The guy must have 50,000 best friends!
Yes, I’ll admit this list is incomplete. I didn’t mention La Scala, the Black Sparrow, McCord’s, and all the other fine places we have enjoyed!
This place has been an incredible home for our family. We will miss it! Yet, we know that Centerville is going to be an incredible home and awesome place to raise our family. We are looking forward to what God has in store for us as we head east!